Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office Immigration Stops and Detention Compensation Fund


Benefits under this program (the “Compensation Fund”) will be available to individuals, regardless of immigration status, stopped and held by Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office (MCSO) between December 23, 2011, and May 24, 2013 in violation of a Preliminary Injunction issued by a federal court in the Ortega Melendres v. Penzone (previously Arpaio) litigation. The Preliminary Injunction prohibited MCSO deputies from detaining a person solely on the basis that MCSO personnel believed the person was in the U.S. without authorization. A detention occurs whenever an individual is not free to leave law enforcement custody. Detention for the purposes of the Compensation Fund may include being transported in a motor vehicle by an MCSO deputy or other law enforcement officer, held at the side of the road by an MCSO deputy, or placed in a cell.

You must submit a signed copy of this Claim Form no later than December 3, 2018 the deadline for all claimants in the Compensation Fund outlined in the Court’s Order Re Victim Compensation. Reliable proof of identity must accompany the Claim Form (this may include, but is not limited to a driver’s license, resident alien number, birth certificate, passport, or other proof of identity). All claimants must complete Section I and sign this claim form. If you did not receive a letter directly from the Claims Administrator saying you are eligible for a payment, you must also complete Section II. If you would like to apply for additional payment for damages other than detention by MCSO, such as subsequent detention by federal authorities or for injuries like physical harm, severe emotional distress, or loss of wages or property, you must complete Section III. Note: applying for additional benefits may result in a longer processing time. If you are seeking compensation in this program for medical expenses, you must provide your Social Security Number, if you have one. You will not automatically be excluded from compensation for medical expenses if you do not have a Social Security Number.

If you are not sure whether you are eligible to participate in the Compensation Fund, you may call 1-844-500-6327 with questions or visit may also contact an attorney or call 602-773-6022 to ask about attorneys who may be able to help you for free. If you have an attorney, he or she may complete this Claim Form for you, but you must e-sign this Claim Form.